Skip to main content

Dana Abdulrazak - most heroic runner

Only female athlete from Iraq. She is a real hero, who come from war torn country.


Olympic "superlatives" to be remembered_English_Xinhua
Dana Abdulrazak - most heroic runner

Photo taken on Aug. 21, 2008 shows Iraqi athlete Dana Hussein Abdulrazak hold a Chinese knot in Beijing, China.

Iraqi women runner Dana Abdul-Razzaq has received as loud applause as champions. The Iraqi team's only woman faced many obstacles to reach Beijing, from a sniper's bullets to a lack of training facilities and religious and cultural opposition to female athletes.

Before the Olympics, she was told that Iraq was shut out of the international sports gala. When her coach consoled her by saying that she could take part in the 2012 Olympics, she broke into tears, "who knows if I could live that long!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing Ralink 3090 wifi driver

I installed Kubuntu 10.10 on my new laptop, my laptop is Compaq CQ62- 308AX. It has Ralink 3090 wifi, which is not automatically detected by Kubuntu. Even restricted driver manager does not show any option for this device. So I downloaded the driver from Ralink site (http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2).  It is in the source format. I thought I might have to patch the kernel source. I went through the readme file and I found that I don’t have to compile kernel ( yippee an hr saved). Only device driver source is needed to be compile. These days things are much more simple. So I compiled the driver by running command “make” and installed it by “make install”.  It has compiled other ralink wifi modules along with 3090 module. After installation (using ‘make install’)  reboot the machine, reboot is not necessary in Linux after installing driver.  After reboot it loaded incorrect  rt2086 module. So I tried manually unloading and loading module using insmode...

html encode/decode in drupal

Like all major CMS drupal stores text fields in encoded html format, to prevent cross site scripting attacks. Some times drupal does not process custom fields and encoded text is displayed as it is. I come across similar issue in my current project. I also post question on StackOverflow. While search for solution I come to know about decode_entities function. decode_entities converts html encoded text to more friendly text. Similary to encode special charters in text you can use check_plain. decode_entities function http://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/includes!unicode.inc/function/decode_entities/7 check_plain function http://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/includes!bootstrap.inc/function/check_plain/7 My question on StackOverflow http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14229641/rss-feeds-view-showing-encoded-special-character-in-title

Ideas - Better interface for yast services module

Here I'm posting an Idea to improve the interface to services module of Yast. Yast is the control panel like application in OpenSuse Linux. Yast is superb piece of software, I would say it is one of the best control panel among all OS available. The current services configuration module is not very user friendly, even simple mode is very confusion for the first time users. Other distributions have much better interface. We can borrow few things from other distros. Ubuntu services manager (USM) - The interface is too simple, does not show service running status. System-config-service (SCS) - The interface is user friendly, separate tabs for background services and on demand service, large area for description and status. Windows - Shows service status in list, option for delay start of services. I think we take few things each of theme. We can use USM interface for simple mode and SCS for advanced mode. Yast is a superb control panel application but not cool, now we should mak...